Month 5 has been pretty status quo. Nothing really huge has happened, though we have definitely stayed busy! We moved this month, which is a challenge by itself without 2 young children! They both did great, but we are still working on getting settled and unpacked. Looking forward to no big life changes these next few months, haha.
- Tried solid food for the first time. Started out with oatmeal, then also tried some peas. This little guy is definitely an eater. Happily dug into both of them and continues to have oatmeal pretty much every day. Took a break from peas since it may have loosened his bowels (contributing to the rash in “not-so-great moments”)
- Bounced back fairly quickly from his 4 month sleep regression
- Had our first out-to-eat experience as a family, and it when pretty well (see photo below)
- Crazy easy to put to sleep. Other than times he is over-tired at night, we can mostly get him ready, put him in the crib, put the paci in his mouth, and leave the room. He pretty much does the rest! Quite the departure from our previous experiences 😉
- The kid remains a good eater. He had a checkup for his rash and weighed in at 16.75 lbs!
- Still not doing any super long stretches of sleep. Usually starts with 5-6 hours, then has another 4-5, though those may sometimes still be punctuated with brief wake-ups.
- Wicked diaper rash for almost the entire month. We tried several things, and it just got worse until his skin was raw and breaking. Just before turning 5 months, finally found a concoction that seemed to help (plus trying to minimize wiping), but you just feel so bad looking at his tiny little unhappy hiney!
- Tied to either his diaper rash or the fact that no kids like to sleep at his daycare, his workday naps have been all over the place. We’re hoping to get him on a bit more of a schedule since he is a pretty good sleeper!
Checking out the rain on the way to school
Shopping with Sister
Hanging out with Mom after a yummy lunch
“Are you the guy with the food?”
OM NOM NOM
Hanging at the brewery
Bundled up for some “chilly” weather
Daddy stopping by school for lunch
Hanging out with Sis in our disaster-home
Happy tummy time!
First time eating out as a family!
Our little (big) 5 month old!
Overall, a pretty good month. We’ll be glad to settle into the new house and JUST deal with the normal 2-kid chaos, lol. I can’t believe he will be half a year old next month!
This kid just keeps on growing! Month 4 was a busy month, but we are still kicking as a family of four!
- Has become even more familiar with his hands. When not chewing on them, he is actively looking at things and tries to grab them if they are really close.
- Even more smiles and giggles. One time, he was laughing so loud I had to shut the door because Ruby was trying to go down for a nap.
- We won’t get an official weight until his appointment on Monday, but plopping him on our home scale indicates he’s in the 15.5-16 pound range. The kid is an eater!
- Doing a pretty good job of sleeping at least one long stretch (right up until 4 months at least)
- Still a bit hit-and-miss with car rides, but I think he’s gradually improving at being amenable to being in there.
- Getting even wigglier sometimes. Seems like he really has somewhere he wants to go!
- The little guy had to start daycare. While he has been doing great, and remains as happy and chill as ever, it is still a sad time when he no longer gets to chill at home all day.
- 4 month sleep regression hit right on time (like the day before he turned 4 months) and he started going back to waking up about every 3 hours. Hopefully he can start reconsolidating so mom can start getting a little sleep again!
What am I supposed to do with THIS?
Snuggle time with big sister
Won’t try to hold it, but is starting to help a little
Worn out after a long day at daycare
Almost like a toupee!
First time in the jumparoo did not go over well (next few times he enjoyed it much more)
Bundled up for some “chilly” weather
“Is mom STILL getting ready?!”
OM NOM NOM
What better tummy time than Big Sister tummy time!
Happy little kid
Finally starting to play with some things
4 months old!
He’s remains a pretty relaxed kid overall. He still has the cutest little “complaint” when he wants something. He has to get really riled up before he starts a legit cry instead of his little squeaks. He’ll have a move next month, but I’m sure everything will go swimmingly!
Our little Arlo is already 3 months old! Crazy how the time can seem to fly by (yet his birth can still seem so long ago!). We’ve continued to grow as a little family and Maricruz especially has been enjoying the last few weeks before he has to head to daycare :-/ He’s still growing and thriving and for the most part has kept all that cute hair, hehe.
- Definitely very aware of things going on around him. Looks at people in the room (especially those with crazy patterns on their shirts), and looks around the room for me when Maricruz has me on speakerphone
- Started discovering his hands. He still doesn’t really grab any items, but his hands have definitely found each other. He is constantly looking like he is plotting something, haha.
- Lots of smiles and more and more giggles! It kinda comes at random times when he is in the mood, but we love when we happen to get him to crack up.
- Still improving at holding himself up. We started practicing in the Bumbo and he has been doing a decent job hanging out in it.
- Started extending his sleeps and getting 6-8 hour sessions at night. A welcome change!
- Been super chatty and wiggly. You can tell he really just wants to get moving and start communicating! Probably spurned by all the dances his sister has been putting on for him, hehe.
- Loves bath time! He splashes and smiles and laughs. Only cries when it is time to get out (or dry his hair, haha).
- More sniffles! Not sure if they are colds, but having some stuffiness hasn’t been helping him sleep.
- After moving to his room, he had a few days of reverting back to only sleeping 3 hours at a time. He’s started improving though, so hopefully that was just a quick phase.
- Has really not been a fan of the carseat. Sometimes he’ll calm down after you start moving, but pretty consistently he flips out once you buckle him in. As a Fincher, he’s going to have to get a lot more used to the car seat! Haha.
I feel like he needs a little pocket protector
Sorry kid, being in the car is part of the Fincher way!
Snazzified for Christmas
Ugh… if they make me to tummy time one more time…
Lounging with Dad
Happy little guy
Working that core by practicing in the Bumbo
Going on a walk with mom! Still doesn’t seem sold on the idea.
Um guys… GUYS! There’s a lion in here!
Ah, picturesque sisterly love
Big sister helping with mat time
Must. Do. Tummy. Time.
All dolled up
ANOTHER episode of Sophia the First!?
Fills out the chair a lot better than when he was 1 month!
Our little 3 month old!
Overall, he has been a pretty chill kid. For the most part, when he cries there is a directly identifiable reason for it (hungry, dirty diaper, etc.). He is already totally in love with his big sister, and I foresee him tailing her closely as soon as he is mobile!
Another busy month for the Fincher family! Nothing really too big and crazy happened, but having two kids in the house is definitely a change of pace. Having a “real world” job where I have to be in the office all day has definitely been a big shift from my Postdoc days! Lots of new challenges, but we are making it through hehe.
- Still growing fast! 12 lbs 6 oz at his 2 month checkup. The boy likes to eat!
- Unlike his sister, it looks like his full little head of hair is here to stay
- Lots more smiles, and even some giggles!
- Better at holding his head up and looking around. Follows people around the room all the time (especially his entertaining big sister)
- Starting to get a few longer sleep stretches, but none too crazy yet
- Started the baby babbling. Definitely seems like he has a lot that he wants to say.
- Made it almost to 2 months before getting his first cold. Being stuffy hasn’t helped the sleeping, and he still wavers around 3-4 hour stretches for the most part
- Shots! At his 2 month checkup, they ran out of one of the combined vaccines, so he had to get one oral then 4 shots! He was a trooper and definitely slept well that night.
Our handsome 2 month old
“Hey, you aren’t the one who is supposed to be feeding me!”
“Fascinating” the baby
Checking out his loving big sister
Daddy bath = fun hairstyles
The “that wasn’t a fart” face
Getting a little big for the bath sling already!
Oh… hello hand. Nom nom nom.
Not too sure about this carseat situation
Oh the joys of having a big sister
The attention that Arlo still requires has been noticed by his sister, so it has become a more challenging balancing act to make sure both still get plenty of time with the parents. It’s a big shift for someone who had us to herself for almost 4 years 🙂 We are still working on getting things coordinated so that Mom and Dad can have some time to take care of the basics around the house, but hopefully we’ll get into more of a routine soon. Regardless, we definitely feel more “complete” as a little family of four and can’t wait to see this little kid keep growing and maturing!
Doing my best to keep up with these blog posts, at least for the first year! It has been a little more hectic with me having a regular job and having a 4 year old running around! Given everything though, things have been going pretty well! We definitely do not miss the days of 2-3 hour sleep segments, but little Arlo has mostly been pretty chill. It was around the 1 month mark when Ruby got her first cold (that destroyed us), but somehow, even with a toddler coming home from daycare every day, Arlo has been able to remain healthy. It has been great getting to know the little guy, and we have been settling in to being a family of 4!
“What shall I bake next?”
Advantage to having so much hair
I will give you all the hugs!
Outtake – I think I scared him
“Who cares about the photo op? Give me my leche!”
Why so serious?
Loving big sister (and scared little Arlo haha)
Getting ready for Halloween. I think Arlo wanted to be Peter Pan.
Big sister helping with bath time
- While he started small, he’s been growing like crazy. 9lbs 2.5oz and 22 inches long at his one month appointment!
- Ruby has been an amazing big sister and loves her baby brother so much!
- Dad started off with a cold, so lots of mask wearing around the baby.
- While Ruby has been a great big sister, she too, has had a cold. This means not much time close to the baby, which is really difficult for her. She just wants to snuggle/hug/kiss her little brother!
- Still trying to find our balance with a family of four while I work full time. It’s coming together, but plenty of room for improvement!
The blog fell into a bit of disrepair as Ruby got older and life got crazier, but I am determined to at least try to do the monthly posts! I don’t want the little guy looking back and feeling left out 😉 We are already behind with the non-documentation of the pregnancy, so here’s hoping I can keep this up!
This little one appeared to be following in his sister’s footsteps and didn’t appear interested to make his appearance out here. At 40 weeks on the dot we got him motivated and finally got to meet our little one! Arlo Julian Fincher was born at 8:51 AM, October 20, 2016. He was 6 lbs 6 oz and 19.75 inches long. A little guy! (at least in comparison to his sister). He marked what is hopefully one of the last big changes of 2016, and we’ve loved getting to know the little guy.
Getting used to these bright lights
Not enjoying his first bath
First gathering of the whole family. Ruby wanted to give him sooooo many kisses.
So much hair!
Those Fincher toes are just the gift that keeps on giving
Ready to hit the road!
We had a great little newborn shoot with B&B Photography. We Loved the way she captured our newly expanded family.
Fincher! Party of four!
Already being a great big sister!
Our little baby model
Welcome to the world Arlo!
The hospital suite was pretty nice, so we didn’t get home at the same detriment that we were at with Ruby. First couple nights were still a bit rough, but we are getting into the swing of things. We already are in love with our little addition, and we can’t wait to see the fun we have as a little family of 4!