I feel like I just wrote up month 9! This kid is growing up too quickly. He’s ever growing and exploring. This month had a big shift, as we decided to move him out of school and keep him home with a nanny for a while. It’s taken some juggling, but his lack of sickness this month has made it feel worth it. It’ll likely be temporary, and I’m sure big sister will still bring some icky stuff home, but it has definitely been some peace of mind for now.
- No croup! After two back-to-back cases, not getting it again has really been the best thing about this month.
- Really taken to crawling. He is getting into everything now!
- First road trip! Only a few hours, but it was still a milestone 🙂
- Sleep! We’ve been doing some mild sleep training, but he is still pretty consistently waking up once, many times twice, a night. Mom and dad will be happy when we can consistently get him to let us sleep for more than 4 hours at a time!
- A bit of a picky eater. He’s gotten pretty good at eating chunked foods, but he usually eats a bite or two then refuses. If it were up to him, this kid would live on puffs! We can still get him to eat purees, but we’re hoping to get him to move into some bigger kid foods soon.
Trying to stand
OM NOM NOM
Yay. Swinging. This is the best. Really.
Dapper young lad with his mommykins
Swim time with dad
Starting to reap benefits of Friday pizza night!
Happy little samurai
As excited for shopping as he is about swinging
Family exercise time!
Swim time with sister
“Sale on puffs?!”
Love these too hooligans
Um… excuse me. I’m eating here.
Smooches for sister
Geared up for the road trip
The most serious of shoppers
10 months old!
And the month’s just keep on churning! Crazy that he’s been out in the world about as long as he hung out in mommy’s belly! It’s been a bit of a month of ups and downs, but we’ve been hanging in there. Hard to dwell on the hard times too much when we have such adorable little faces greeting us all the time 😉
- Started making some progress crawling. He’s still a bit slow-and-steady, but he’s mobile!
- Loves his walker! We have tried it a few times, and he is amazingly good at navigating around the house and exploring.
- Not to steal Arlo’s spotlight, but we found out this month that Ruby is no longer allergic to egg. Very big and exciting news!
- Got to go swimming for the first time. He was a bit cautious/serious, but I think he had fun.
- Second croup 🙁 This time was even worse than last time. I ended up having to take him to the ER around 2am, and we were there through the night until midday. A #$&%* nurse gave us bad info after he had an x-ray then CT that gave us a bit of a scare (swelling != a mass buddy!), but all ended up being ok. Really rough night, but we made it through.
- Sleep still hasn’t been going to great. We haven’t really been working hard on it, but it is pretty typical for him to still wake 2 times a night.
This kid loves his blocks, mostly dumping them out
Getting ready for the pool
Ruby entertaining the cousins!
Checking out the aquarium
Our little family on Fourth of July
Enjoying his walk, windblown hair and all
Sisterly love (and scared little dude, lol)
Such a big boy!
Hanging out with Dad
Picnic with sister
Sharing his favorite blocks with sister
9 months old!
I feel like I just wrote a post about this fella! He’s growing up so quickly. It’s been another fun month with the little guy. I’ve all but given up on getting these things done on time. Within a couple weeks is still good, right!?
- Does a decent job of eating, though he still likes warm purees the best. Texture hasn’t been his favorite just yet. Oatmeal and sweet potato are staples.
- First plane ride! Went to Nashville to see Molly and fam. He did pretty well!
- I suppose this could be in both lists, but we had a Dad-son weekend while Maricruz and Ruby went to Texas for a wedding. He did a pretty good job, and I kept the house together (for the most part, lol)
- Slowly edging towards crawling. Lots of planking, some hands and knees, but no movement yet.
- While he traveled very well, the first few nights of sleeping in a new place were pretty darn rough. Side note: Ruby has always been a good traveler, but did an amazing job trying to sleep in the room with a constantly waking baby. So proud of her I had to mention it 😉
- Still gets up twice during the night most nights. I can sometimes get him back to sleep, but often he wants to nurse. That’s a habit we really need to start breaking!
- Croup! Probably our scariest parenting experience thus far. That distinct cough and him struggling to breathe were the worst! Luckily, he responded well to the steroids, but that first night was pretty brutal!
Mastering his plank
Hang out time with his sis
Good times hanging out in Sister’s bed
Making sure the shuttle driver is staying safe
I love being in the stroller. Seriously. This is the best. Never had better.
First plane ride!
Ruby being an awesome big sister
Happy, even in the doctor’s office
BB got him a car just like Molly’s!
Big boy and strong girl
Playing in “baby jail”
Quite the dapper young lad!
These two <3
Happy little 8 month old!
We’re starting to get a little behind on these, but hopefully I can find some time to get a little more back on track. Month 7 was another fun month watching our little guy keep growing (and somehow find ways to love his sister even more!).
- Being behind makes things difficult to remember, but he’s continued to be a pretty happy and chill little guy.
- Continued trying new foods including squash and bananas
- A lot of status quo from last post. Still chatty, good with car rides, and better about wiggling around on the floor (even if it doesn’t seem like he wants to try to crawl yet!)
- He was 19lbs 5oz at his 6 month (that turned into a sick visit), then 19lbs 12.5 oz at his followup a couple weeks later. I think that put him in the high 70s percentile-wise, and he was 83% for height and head. He may have started out small, but he’s been catching up!
- First Mother’s day!
- He is still gnawing on things left and right like he is teething, but still no sign of them yet.
- While he finished his first round of antibiotics, he ended up having to get a second round. They were harsher and affected him more, but he still hung in there pretty well.
- Relatedly, what was supposed to be his 6 month checkup turned into a sick visit. Poor little guy!
- Sleep continues to be a bit of a struggle. He almost always has at least one wake up where he wants to nurse, and sometimes a couple other times where he needs a quick soothe. When mom and dad are responsible and go to bed earlier, it usually isn’t too bad, but boy do we pay for it if we decide to stay up! 🙂
Slow wake up on Daddy
Photo shoot outtake, lol
Happy little guy!
Sad sick day on Mommy
Giving Mom a break Saturday morning
Not 100% sold on the teething toy
Must. Stay. Awake. For. Bottle.
Seriously scoping the babes on the way to the pool
Well, hello there!
Silly times at the doctor’s office
Hey! That’s Daddy’s taco!
His sister cracks him up more than anyone else, by far
Happy 7 months Arlo!
It’s still a little hard to believe it has already been 7 months with the little guy. Where does the time go!? We’ve been really settling into the groove of being a little family of four and look forward to the fun and excitement of month 8!
Half a year with our little dude! Going through this whole process again has been crazy enough, but with two kids it is an entirely different beast. Not a lot of downtime, but lots and lots of love! 🙂
- Tried more solid foods this month, including zucchini, carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, and apples
- Getting better at tummy time and having an easier time rolling from back to belly when he wants
- Really improving sitting up. Still topples over when he gets distracted, but has definitely gotten more stable
- After checking old blog posts, looks like the guy has caught up to (and slightly surpassed) his sister and weighed in at over 19 lbs
- Becoming more aware of things, and reaching/lunging to try to grab things nearby. Definitely have to pay a little more attention when you are holding him now
- Now that we’ve gotten more on a schedule, his naps have improved at school. Not 100% where we would like them, but definitely better than they were
- He’s getting more used to the car rides as well. I rarely get complaints unless he is cranky tired, and in those cases he is usually asleep pretty soon after
- He finally got to meet his BB and Gahgi! He had a lot of fun with hanging out with them and watching his crazy sister 😉
- He’s fairly chatty. The clearest word is “dadda” which changes in tone/inflection upon his mood.
- His affinity for his sister grows by the day. We can get him to smile if we work for it, but she just needs to enter the room and he’s all smiles.
- First ear infection! Also led to his first round of antibiotics. Poor little guy was so pitiful!
- While not terrible, he still wakes up at least once or twice a night, usually for mommy. While he was sick that got even worse, but it is usually fairly manageable when he is well. Won’t complain when he consistently has longer stretches though!
Just a little more to be sitting upright
First grill out
We are very serious about tummy time in this house
More sisterly love
With his BB and Gahgi
Attack with all you have!
We practice very safe sitting up
Like an advertisement for peas, yeah?
Engrossed in his book
Our little 6 month old, eyebrows and all!
I realized when gathering photos that we have definitely been pretty light on the picture taking lately. With the move and getting settled and everything that has been going on in our lives the past couple of months, I guess our shutter clicking fingers have been tired! Hopefully, we’ll start having a more settled life in the coming months, and we can hope that results in more photos! If not, I’m just going to have to start experimenting with all my GoPro mounts haha. It’s also been a little crazy (plus my computer is a bit on the fritz), so Arlo might have to just wait for a full 1 year wrap up video. No 6 month this time. Sorry buddy!
Month 5 has been pretty status quo. Nothing really huge has happened, though we have definitely stayed busy! We moved this month, which is a challenge by itself without 2 young children! They both did great, but we are still working on getting settled and unpacked. Looking forward to no big life changes these next few months, haha.
- Tried solid food for the first time. Started out with oatmeal, then also tried some peas. This little guy is definitely an eater. Happily dug into both of them and continues to have oatmeal pretty much every day. Took a break from peas since it may have loosened his bowels (contributing to the rash in “not-so-great moments”)
- Bounced back fairly quickly from his 4 month sleep regression
- Had our first out-to-eat experience as a family, and it when pretty well (see photo below)
- Crazy easy to put to sleep. Other than times he is over-tired at night, we can mostly get him ready, put him in the crib, put the paci in his mouth, and leave the room. He pretty much does the rest! Quite the departure from our previous experiences 😉
- The kid remains a good eater. He had a checkup for his rash and weighed in at 16.75 lbs!
- Still not doing any super long stretches of sleep. Usually starts with 5-6 hours, then has another 4-5, though those may sometimes still be punctuated with brief wake-ups.
- Wicked diaper rash for almost the entire month. We tried several things, and it just got worse until his skin was raw and breaking. Just before turning 5 months, finally found a concoction that seemed to help (plus trying to minimize wiping), but you just feel so bad looking at his tiny little unhappy hiney!
- Tied to either his diaper rash or the fact that no kids like to sleep at his daycare, his workday naps have been all over the place. We’re hoping to get him on a bit more of a schedule since he is a pretty good sleeper!
Checking out the rain on the way to school
Shopping with Sister
Hanging out with Mom after a yummy lunch
“Are you the guy with the food?”
OM NOM NOM
Hanging at the brewery
Bundled up for some “chilly” weather
Daddy stopping by school for lunch
Hanging out with Sis in our disaster-home
Happy tummy time!
First time eating out as a family!
Our little (big) 5 month old!
Overall, a pretty good month. We’ll be glad to settle into the new house and JUST deal with the normal 2-kid chaos, lol. I can’t believe he will be half a year old next month!
This kid just keeps on growing! Month 4 was a busy month, but we are still kicking as a family of four!
- Has become even more familiar with his hands. When not chewing on them, he is actively looking at things and tries to grab them if they are really close.
- Even more smiles and giggles. One time, he was laughing so loud I had to shut the door because Ruby was trying to go down for a nap.
- We won’t get an official weight until his appointment on Monday, but plopping him on our home scale indicates he’s in the 15.5-16 pound range. The kid is an eater!
- Doing a pretty good job of sleeping at least one long stretch (right up until 4 months at least)
- Still a bit hit-and-miss with car rides, but I think he’s gradually improving at being amenable to being in there.
- Getting even wigglier sometimes. Seems like he really has somewhere he wants to go!
- The little guy had to start daycare. While he has been doing great, and remains as happy and chill as ever, it is still a sad time when he no longer gets to chill at home all day.
- 4 month sleep regression hit right on time (like the day before he turned 4 months) and he started going back to waking up about every 3 hours. Hopefully he can start reconsolidating so mom can start getting a little sleep again!
What am I supposed to do with THIS?
Snuggle time with big sister
Won’t try to hold it, but is starting to help a little
Worn out after a long day at daycare
Almost like a toupee!
First time in the jumparoo did not go over well (next few times he enjoyed it much more)
Bundled up for some “chilly” weather
“Is mom STILL getting ready?!”
OM NOM NOM
What better tummy time than Big Sister tummy time!
Happy little kid
Finally starting to play with some things
4 months old!
He’s remains a pretty relaxed kid overall. He still has the cutest little “complaint” when he wants something. He has to get really riled up before he starts a legit cry instead of his little squeaks. He’ll have a move next month, but I’m sure everything will go swimmingly!
Our little Arlo is already 3 months old! Crazy how the time can seem to fly by (yet his birth can still seem so long ago!). We’ve continued to grow as a little family and Maricruz especially has been enjoying the last few weeks before he has to head to daycare :-/ He’s still growing and thriving and for the most part has kept all that cute hair, hehe.
- Definitely very aware of things going on around him. Looks at people in the room (especially those with crazy patterns on their shirts), and looks around the room for me when Maricruz has me on speakerphone
- Started discovering his hands. He still doesn’t really grab any items, but his hands have definitely found each other. He is constantly looking like he is plotting something, haha.
- Lots of smiles and more and more giggles! It kinda comes at random times when he is in the mood, but we love when we happen to get him to crack up.
- Still improving at holding himself up. We started practicing in the Bumbo and he has been doing a decent job hanging out in it.
- Started extending his sleeps and getting 6-8 hour sessions at night. A welcome change!
- Been super chatty and wiggly. You can tell he really just wants to get moving and start communicating! Probably spurned by all the dances his sister has been putting on for him, hehe.
- Loves bath time! He splashes and smiles and laughs. Only cries when it is time to get out (or dry his hair, haha).
- More sniffles! Not sure if they are colds, but having some stuffiness hasn’t been helping him sleep.
- After moving to his room, he had a few days of reverting back to only sleeping 3 hours at a time. He’s started improving though, so hopefully that was just a quick phase.
- Has really not been a fan of the carseat. Sometimes he’ll calm down after you start moving, but pretty consistently he flips out once you buckle him in. As a Fincher, he’s going to have to get a lot more used to the car seat! Haha.
I feel like he needs a little pocket protector
Sorry kid, being in the car is part of the Fincher way!
Snazzified for Christmas
Ugh… if they make me to tummy time one more time…
Lounging with Dad
Happy little guy
Working that core by practicing in the Bumbo
Going on a walk with mom! Still doesn’t seem sold on the idea.
Um guys… GUYS! There’s a lion in here!
Ah, picturesque sisterly love
Big sister helping with mat time
Must. Do. Tummy. Time.
All dolled up
ANOTHER episode of Sophia the First!?
Fills out the chair a lot better than when he was 1 month!
Our little 3 month old!
Overall, he has been a pretty chill kid. For the most part, when he cries there is a directly identifiable reason for it (hungry, dirty diaper, etc.). He is already totally in love with his big sister, and I foresee him tailing her closely as soon as he is mobile!
Another busy month for the Fincher family! Nothing really too big and crazy happened, but having two kids in the house is definitely a change of pace. Having a “real world” job where I have to be in the office all day has definitely been a big shift from my Postdoc days! Lots of new challenges, but we are making it through hehe.
- Still growing fast! 12 lbs 6 oz at his 2 month checkup. The boy likes to eat!
- Unlike his sister, it looks like his full little head of hair is here to stay
- Lots more smiles, and even some giggles!
- Better at holding his head up and looking around. Follows people around the room all the time (especially his entertaining big sister)
- Starting to get a few longer sleep stretches, but none too crazy yet
- Started the baby babbling. Definitely seems like he has a lot that he wants to say.
- Made it almost to 2 months before getting his first cold. Being stuffy hasn’t helped the sleeping, and he still wavers around 3-4 hour stretches for the most part
- Shots! At his 2 month checkup, they ran out of one of the combined vaccines, so he had to get one oral then 4 shots! He was a trooper and definitely slept well that night.
Our handsome 2 month old
“Hey, you aren’t the one who is supposed to be feeding me!”
“Fascinating” the baby
Checking out his loving big sister
Daddy bath = fun hairstyles
The “that wasn’t a fart” face
Getting a little big for the bath sling already!
Oh… hello hand. Nom nom nom.
Not too sure about this carseat situation
Oh the joys of having a big sister
The attention that Arlo still requires has been noticed by his sister, so it has become a more challenging balancing act to make sure both still get plenty of time with the parents. It’s a big shift for someone who had us to herself for almost 4 years 🙂 We are still working on getting things coordinated so that Mom and Dad can have some time to take care of the basics around the house, but hopefully we’ll get into more of a routine soon. Regardless, we definitely feel more “complete” as a little family of four and can’t wait to see this little kid keep growing and maturing!
Doing my best to keep up with these blog posts, at least for the first year! It has been a little more hectic with me having a regular job and having a 4 year old running around! Given everything though, things have been going pretty well! We definitely do not miss the days of 2-3 hour sleep segments, but little Arlo has mostly been pretty chill. It was around the 1 month mark when Ruby got her first cold (that destroyed us), but somehow, even with a toddler coming home from daycare every day, Arlo has been able to remain healthy. It has been great getting to know the little guy, and we have been settling in to being a family of 4!
“What shall I bake next?”
Advantage to having so much hair
I will give you all the hugs!
Outtake – I think I scared him
“Who cares about the photo op? Give me my leche!”
Why so serious?
Loving big sister (and scared little Arlo haha)
Getting ready for Halloween. I think Arlo wanted to be Peter Pan.
Big sister helping with bath time
- While he started small, he’s been growing like crazy. 9lbs 2.5oz and 22 inches long at his one month appointment!
- Ruby has been an amazing big sister and loves her baby brother so much!
- Dad started off with a cold, so lots of mask wearing around the baby.
- While Ruby has been a great big sister, she too, has had a cold. This means not much time close to the baby, which is really difficult for her. She just wants to snuggle/hug/kiss her little brother!
- Still trying to find our balance with a family of four while I work full time. It’s coming together, but plenty of room for improvement!